Monday, June 11, 2012

Thought for the Day

"I learned that you should feel when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountain top, but like a child stringing beads in kindergarten--happy, absorbed and quietly putting one bead on after another."  Brenda Ueland

This is not specific to writing.  This quote can be applied to any job or career, and really, to any area of life.  I really don't have much to add to this.  I think it speaks for itself.  I will end with these few thoughts though:

Do what makes you happy.

Live your life doing things that you love.

I love writing.  There are times, yes, where it gets tedious and I just don't want to do it.  There are other times though, when I sit down at my computer and get so wrapped up in the story, so involved with the lives of my characters, I feel like I never want to leave their world, my world, the world that I created.

That's the great thing about being a writer.  Writers hold the power in their hand to make whole worlds and nothing can hold us back except the limits of our own imaginations.  We hold the power to take readers to new and exciting places and meet exotic characters that they just can't help but fall in love with.

I love the feeling I get when I become lost in a book that I'm reading...but when that book is the one that I'm writing, I have this hope that maybe someone else will feel the same way I do when they read it.  They'll fall right into it, right into every scene with my characters, living their story with them, as if it was their own.

So, maybe I did have more to say on this than I thought, but the main point I'm trying to make is be happy, and do things that keep you happy.  And if you're doing something you love, and you're just not happy with it, take a break.  Get away.  Take a road trip for a day and go up to that mountain top, or go stick your feet in the ocean.  Clear your head.  And then, just sit down and write.  Maybe it's not what you're supposed to be working on and maybe that deadline is looming awfully close.  But write for you.  Get lost in your writing all over again.  Remember why it used to make you happy.

Find your spark.  Lose yourself in your writing and find your happiness inside.

Megg


No comments:

Post a Comment